FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Panama PTY detains 100's of passengers daily! I was one of them this week
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
That really sucks. So sorry you had to go through that. Thanks for the warning.

Where did you fly in from? Is that where they sent you back to?
Arrived from BOG bogota - yes they sent me back the same way.
If they didnt want me to pass thru panama (i was just connecting) why couldnt they have put me on the NEXT flight out (which was just 3 hours after I arrived)
instead to keep me 30 hours is incredibly unfair.
I tried to tell them I would be happy to buy a new ticket on the first flight out, but they simply stonewalled any requests i made.
Whatever system PTY is running, it seems to be US controlled and is designed to stop the flow of people towards US. I guess they made some secret deal for this purpose and the panama authorities are waiting for orders from the US before releasing anyone.
I still have no idea why I was suspected of anything but can only warn all to avoid PTY until this travesty is fixed and Tocumen airport guarantees the human rights and fast processing of any immigration detainees. ITS LIKE GUANTANAMO BAY
I am just one voice but this is happening every day to hundreds of people! (mostly spanish speaking, so we dont hear about it)