FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lounge access at ICN?
View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:05 pm
PeggyJM

Programs: Delta DM, DL MM
Originally Posted by wlau
It makes me wonder which lounge you went into!?!! There 4 lounges, 1 in concourse and 3 in T2. If you talking about lounge food, then you must went at the wrong time! I've done the 5am arrival 9/10am depart connection and 1pm arrival 8pm depart connection at ICN and the food quality and taste are very food, variety is limited but no worse than SkyClub. I suggest you try that greenbean salad, it's amazingly tasty and healthy. If you went at hours that don't align with meal times, then it's the same as DL SC. Put it this way, ICN's limited breakfast pastries are much tastier than the same from SEA, LAX, and SFO's equally limited Costco quality stuff.

NRT SC definitely does not have better food than KE's ICN lounge. NRT has chicken skewer + 2 other items.... that has been around for over a decade and never changed! The sushi is cucumber rolls and inari, both are cheapest thing they can put out. These items have been the same for over a decade! I am stunned it can be considered good while ICN is not. If you use Japanese standards, then NRT SC is nearly at the bottom. ANA's and JAL's lounges are infinitely better. KE lounge at NRT is mediocre and CI's lounge at NRT is a tad better than DL SC.

KE inflight food is not great for some because Korean cuisine is very very healthy, so a lot of rice and veggie, it doesn't satisfy the huge appetite of large American passengers. The bibimbap and rice cake that are common on KE flights are actually very good quality and tasty, albeit the portion is small. This is one of the reason 2/3 of the food cart are carrying these items. Most Americans can't differentiate between rice types...As an Asian, I can tell you even KE's inflight bibimbap's rice is very high quality, better than what we can get in the US. I think this is a case of some people not familiar with Korean cuisine.
I went to the Prestige Lounge in Terminal 2 (I wasn't allowed in the other 2 lounges in that terminal because I was flying business, not first class, and the miler club lounge must be reserved for those million milers from Korean Airlines? (I'm a million miler on Delta but was told that I was only allowed in the Prestige lounge) The breakfast I chose on the KE flight was an egg dish, but it really wasn't good. (One bite was enough) I live in Asia and like rice and veggies, but not usually for breakfast. (and yes, I can tell the difference between different varieties of rice.) I didn't mind the quantity of food on the flight, what bothered me was the quality. I did try a pastry in the Prestige lounge in Terminal 2 and it was definitely not fresh, but looked better than most of the other items I saw. I will try the green bean salad next time, although eating green beans at 9 am isn't terribly appealing to me. Fortunately, I had a fairly short connection time, so I knew that I would get a decent meal on my Delta flight to DTW. But the lounge was very crowded and noisy and unless the food choices improve later on in the day, I would hate to think about spending a 10 1/2 hour layover there!