FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lounge access at ICN?
View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:37 pm
btonkid12345

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by wlau
It makes me wonder which lounge you went into!?!! There 4 lounges, 1 in concourse and 3 in T2. If you talking about lounge food, then you must went at the wrong time! I've done the 5am arrival 9/10am depart connection and 1pm arrival 8pm depart connection at ICN and the food quality and taste are very food, variety is limited but no worse than SkyClub. I suggest you try that greenbean salad, it's amazingly tasty and healthy. If you went at hours that don't align with meal times, then it's the same as DL SC. Put it this way, ICN's limited breakfast pastries are much tastier than the same from SEA, LAX, and SFO's equally limited Costco quality stuff.

NRT SC definitely does not have better food than KE's ICN lounge. NRT has chicken skewer + 2 other items.... that has been around for over a decade and never changed! The sushi is cucumber rolls and inari, both are cheapest thing they can put out. These items have been the same for over a decade! I am stunned it can be considered good while ICN is not. If you use Japanese standards, then NRT SC is nearly at the bottom. ANA's and JAL's lounges are infinitely better. KE lounge at NRT is mediocre and CI's lounge at NRT is a tad better than DL SC.

KE inflight food is not great for some because Korean cuisine is very very healthy, so a lot of rice and veggie, it doesn't satisfy the huge appetite of large American passengers. The bibimbap and rice cake that are common on KE flights are actually very good quality and tasty, albeit the portion is small. This is one of the reason 2/3 of the food cart are carrying these items. Most Americans can't differentiate between rice types...As an Asian, I can tell you even KE's inflight bibimbap's rice is very high quality, better than what we can get in the US. I think this is a case of some people not familiar with Korean cuisine.
None of the salads at ICN T2 seemed either properly refrigerated or presented in a way for many passengers to access in a sanitary manner.

The quality of the food at NRT is better than anything at ICN. The food at NRT is actually edible - the stuff at ICN is mainly not due to the quality of the products they use as well as a refill procedure that doesn't follow FIFP and doesn't keep what should be hot, HOT. Their pastries at ICN are the same if not worse than any other corporate made bakery product that is trucked in, unwrapped and left out to sit.

KE in-flight food in short haul J was equally awful quality. I didn't find it to be any more or less healthy than any other ST carrier but I did find the quality of the chicken and seafood served with it to be the lowest grade meat that likely was available for purchase.

In contrast, KE served Australian made dressing with the salads that were just a bowl of greens.

Finally, you speak of racist comments yet you just said Americans are large and have a huge appetite and that Americans can'take differentiate between rice types - two stereotypes and generalizations that are both unfounded and also disrespectful. KE served more food quantity-wise in short haul J than DL ever has to me on a flight of the same length - but I certainly don't attribute that to large or hungrier passengers from that airline's home country.