FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it okay to book a back-up one-way ticket?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:08 am
Unionruler

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
lol

Id fire that travel agent.

Yes, they are following the rules and CYAing... feels like they work for AA and not you....

My TA could keep a return booking 'alive' for a week, no problem- he can always cancel a booked ticket within 24 hrs, so could just keep rolling it along. (Unless your one way has some unique advance purchase) Book, hold, if invetory is there, book again, cancel the old. Rinse and repeat.

My TA knows that if the fit hits the shan, and something rolls back onto his agency, I am good to cover it. Over the years I have never had to cover any issue. So we are both WAY ahead.

Finally, they left out the cost to change the ticket after you fly the outbound and just rebooking the return. As pointed out above, the $75 SDFC is possibly not accurate. They'd be toast in my book. "Let us know what you want to do"??? Right.

This is called churning and is specifically prohibited by the ADM Memorandum/ Policy of most airlines. If your TA does it very infrequently it won't get picked up by data analytics, but anything more than that and the ratio of tickets issued to inventory put on hold will stand out. AA might investigate, and thereafter debit memo the TA up to the full fare for each instance where inventory was held to "save a fare" for a customer with scarce intention of ticketing.