FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SmartFares agency bait and switch - avoid
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:18 pm
RickR

Programs: Most FF and hotel, i.e., spread too thin.
Smartfares booking - scammers

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Hope your refunds come through quickly. Definitely start with your credit card issuer to ensure you have someone with financial weight pressing your case.
You can file complaints with the State of California as well through https://oag.ca.gov/travel
Originally Posted by IntVic
All the best on getting your money back and reporting this company to the relevant body for investigation.
Sadly these shoddy OTAs operate across the globe and will continue to be in business when passengers hand over their money, often I suspect, without first doing a search for reviews on the OTA. I don't know if the OP did a search on SmartFares, but when I did, there are testimonies on TripAdvisor which mirror the OP's experience which would make me think twice and judge my appetite for risk. Before handing money to any OTA, I read reviews and their terms and conditions and not be rushed by "only 1 seat left" and other nonsense on their website.
I finally found a discussion on TripAdvisor regarding SmartFares. This led to quite an educational discussion, mirroring the comments here. Complaints filed. They did reverse credit card charges ok so that part worked. AVOID this company - and others like it.

Bottom line learning for me: research flights and fares on sites but then book directly with the airline. I had actually done that and wound up with a fare at least as good as the original 'bait' with the airline and it was simple and easy. Next time I know better.