FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY (master thread July 2017 onwards)
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:33 pm
krakendown

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Originally Posted by kiltedflyer
Yes, it was a single itinerary; 70k miles + $17USD per pax.
Over the course of the weekend, I had checked JFK-AUH & AUH-MLE (EY100-EY278) F & biz availability on the Etihad website using the R/T routing trick.
I called US reservations and unsurprisingly the agent could not see the seats... but she did check other routings and was able to find ORD-AUH-MLE for the nearly the same dates (EY150-EY278) and was able to add an AA positioning flight to the booking and put everything on hold.
Not fully satisfied with that, on Sunday I called Australia, possibly routed to UK based on the accent of the agent, and agent could not see the JFK space.
Then I called NZ, likely routed to Trinidad, again, based on the accent of agent. This agent could see JFK-AUH seats, but got an error when requesting tax calculation. She asked me to phone back indicating that she would need to re-boot her system. (So close and yet so far.)
Then I called NZ again and got a NZ agent; no mistaking a Kiwi accent. This agent could see the seats, and had no trouble putting the JFK-AUH-MLE itinerary on hold.
And then this morning I called the NZ# back to ticket, no issue, but the agent definitely did not have a NZ accent.
none of the agents ever could see F on our dates, I kept asking.
More than you wanted to know, I'm sure... but keep calling, and if you can see the space, eventually you should be successful; good luck!
More details the better. Thank you for the response. Once you get to the airport theres one more puddle jumper you have to take. Would love to hear the whole story when you get back. What are your travel dates if you don't mind me asking?