FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Congress introduces (H.R. 911): Install of cockpit secondary barriers on ALL jets
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:09 pm
MacLeanBarrier

Programs: http://www.maclean-scotus.info
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
This legislation looks to me like a classic case of Congressmen latching onto an issue that they think will make them look good ("what, you're against airline safety?"), but won't require them to actually directly spend any taxpayer money, since the costs are imposed on airlines (and hence, passengers). It's also a classic case of concentrated benefit (big upside for the companies that might be able to sell these barriers), dispersed downside (slightly higher costs for the traveling public).
Myself and many other TSA Federal Air Marshals 100% believe that the law passed last year was absolutely reckless. That publicized law announced to all potential bad actors that there's a serious safety lapse, but ONLY NEW aircraft build after October of this year--a FUTURE date--will get the fix. Now everyone knows to only attack the 7,304 existing aircraft and avoid the ones to be built in the next 7 months...

These 10 bipartisan members of Congress actually did their job and did it well, and the U.S. Office of Special Counsel is backing them with its January 18, 2018 5 U.S.C. § 1213 referral on my behalf.