FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2019 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:50 am
chunky649

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Never mind :-(
If you happen to already be planning a stay at one of these hotels - result !!

I remember (the good old days !) whereby this list would actually inspire me to take a trip or three I hadn't been planning on. you

Now if only Qatar were doing one of their old sub £1k biz flights to Thailand I could make use of those two hotels !
Allegedly the IC is in the un-seedy part of town.
You must be thinking back at least a decade, when the economy nearly collapse... Also, back then, many promotion codes stacked, so it was possible to get thousands of points per hotel stay... and this was before the crazed credit card churning practices. Back then, I valued 5000 points at almost $50. Today, I think it is barely worth $25.

Anyway, there are some gems on the new list. I'm not an IHG apologist, but quite frankly, for years, I think people are complaining for the sake of complaining. Who cares if the IC in London or Paris is on the PB list if I can't go there? How many people will spend hundreds (if not more) of dollars to plan a trip to save a measly few hundreds (if not less) on a point breaker? I'm sure there are some, but the people with that freedom AND ability to make a trip worthwhile (considering value of time, cost of transportation, and actually wanting to visit the city/location) is truly rare.

Also, the 'good hotels' on the PB list generally get booked within minutes if not seconds of going live. This has been the case for at least half a decade.

I do a lot of personal travels, and generally enjoy 1 - 3 PB stays per year, mostly on road trips in America. I do notice the pickings are getting slimmer in general.