FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrading using points from Business to First
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:45 am
Neiltoo

Programs: Skywards
Smile UPDATE

Originally Posted by Neiltoo
I'm flying DUB - SEZ next weekend and am still hoping to upgrade (2 seats) from J to F with miles on the DUB - DXB leg. Expert flyer is showing F4 J7 and there are no seats selected in F so I'm assuming that means its empty?
Does anyone have any insight into the likelihood of award availability opening up? Is it possible it wont and the flight will go with First empty?
If I hope to upgrade at the airport is it better not to check in online?
Thanks
A quick update:
When I checked Expert Flyer this morning there was upgrade availability. (so, approx 96 hours before flight)
I called and eventually got the upgrade sorted.
My wife and I have enough miles for our own upgrades but neither have enough miles to upgrade both tickets (which are on the same ref.)
Auto upgrade wont work in this situation, the system can only automatically take miles from one account.
When I called they needed to speak to my wife to confirm she was ok with the use of her miles (not straightforward when shes out of the country!) - we use different surnames so not sure if that made a difference.
Even with her permission it sounded as if using miles from 2 accounts to upgrade one booking was not as straightforward as I might have expected. - the agent said she wasn't sure if she would be able to do that without permission from a superior, but she was in the end.
What I also found interesting was that the seat map on Expert Flyer updated the info (our old seats in business freed up and new ones in First shown) before the Emirates app!
Thanks again to all those that answered my previous questions on this.