FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rental car travel in Europe (rent from Italy and visit Easern European countries)
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:42 pm
poohhead80

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Rental car travel in Europe (rent from Italy and visit Easern European countries)

I live in US and I have been to Europe (London, Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, Venice, Frankfurt, Barcelona, Prague, Zurich). However, I have never driven a car in Europe.

This summer, I am planning a family trip (my wife and 4th and 2nd grade children) including a 7 day mediterranean cruise and 6 day rental car trip.

Day 1 Venice-Zagreb (Croatia) 5hr
Day 2 Zagreb-Budapest (Hungary) 4hr
Day 3 Budapest-Vienna (Austria) 4hr
Day 4 Vienna-Salzburg-Munich (Germany) 5hr
Day 5 Munich-Fussen-Innsbruck-Dolomites (Italy) 6hr
Day 6 Dolomites-Venice (Italy) 3hr

Q1. I read online that I can not enter Hungary with a rented vehicle from Italy. I think I need to change the routing.
Is there anything I need to know about.

Q2. Rental car insurance. Does it work without any problem when I cross the border?

Q3. It sounds like entering eastern Europe with a rented vehicle from Italy is not that simple like driving Canada with a rented vehicle from US.
Is it better to stay in Western Europe (for example Germany, Switerland, France, and Italy)?

Q4. It looks like parking in old downtown is not easy as in US. Is there better way to visit downtown (for example, park outside the city and walk or park at the hotel and take a cab)

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by poohhead80; Feb 25, 2019 at 12:07 am