FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Istanbul 'New' Airport ( IST/ISL ) - Master Thread ✈️
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:09 pm
ISTFlyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by DUHCAR
So, is the April 5 date for opening “official” yet?
Unfortunately, nothing official yet. The NOTAM still indicates that the IST code would move to Istanbul Airport on 2 March 2019 03:00 ( GMT +3 ). In addition, the TK website still indicates that the movement would take place on the 3rd of March. In addition the same link, has the statement "Following the finalization of relocation from Istanbul Ataturk Airport, the scheduled flights from Istanbul Ataturk Airport will end.". However, how they can still sell tickets from both IST and ISL codes then. Literally, this means that either the movement would not happen on the date announced or Atatürk and Istanbul Airport's would be used together. I am also relating this to the communications and public relations departments of Turkish Airlines as they are so weak and they are leading passengers to worry about their flights. TK is losing lots of customers as people don't want to be involved in the movement, as there is also a possibility that there could be small issues after the movement. I have wrote this same thing on one of the Turkish forums but it was deleted by the moderators, few minutes after I published this. In that text I have also criticized why Turkish Airlines is not anymore the best airline of Europe or why have decreased to the 18th in the Skytrax ratings. However, this part is not related to Istanbul Airport and does not directly relate to the subject. I would also like to mention that the issue here is not similar to Brandenburg Airport. In Brandenburg, there are issues with the terminal buildings which would not literally affect the airport operations if all flights operate from the Schönefeld Terminal but in this case, we have lot's of question marks which we don't know about ISL. For now, ISL is ready to be the 3rd airport of Istanbul but not the major airport of a city with a population of 20.000.000 nor the hub of Turkish Airlines.