FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Winnipegger surprised WS bag fees charged in CAD on trip to U.S. but USD on return
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:38 pm
Sopwith

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Memo to WestJet:

I have booked the same accommodation for next year. We've been coming to OGG in January for almost 15 years, almost always used the WS flight because I hate the AC redeye going home. This year I got whacked C$250 in bag charges, also paid I forget how much for exit row seats one way and regular seats the other.

I haven't booked air for next year yet, but three things have happened that will affect what I do:
  1. My WS Gold status match lapsed at the end of Oct 2018;
  2. AC has added a daytime flight;
  3. I have regained my AC E35 status, which gives me, among other things, seat selection, 50% discount on preferred seats, three checked bags, and a Bistro discount code.
So AC has at least a $300 advantage over WS.

Ball is in your court.
Just to close the loop on this, I managed to snag seats on the daytime AC flights with Aeroplan, $150 + $280 for exit row seats. With my E35 status, no bag charges. Didn’t get the 50% off the preferred seats - the fine print says it only applies to Flex fares.

First time in at least 20 years I’ve made an AE booking and not been PO’d at the end of it.