FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Account Suspensions/Closures on Accusations of Fraud/Brokering
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:32 pm
dayone
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Nothing in terms says I cannot buy tickets for other people, so I should be free to use such miles which I bought with hard earned cash.

Onus is on Alaska to PROVE that there was a cash repayment in exchange for using ones miles to book ticket for other people, and that such flights were not simply gifted. Otherwise, shutting down accounts and blocking usage of miles bought with hard earned cash is high street robbery.
According to the Mleage Plan General Terms and Conditions, AS owns the miles and can suspend access to them at any time for any reason.

Awards or accrued Miles, including purchased Miles, do not constitute the property of the member to whose Mileage Plan account the Miles have been posted. However, awards or accrued Miles do provide the member with an option to exchange such Miles for travel at the redemption level in effect at the time of redemption (not at the time of accrual).

Alaska Airlines reserves the right to audit Mileage Plan accounts at any time and without notice to the member to ensure compliance with these Mileage Plan Conditions of Membership and applicable conditions of carriage and/or tariffs. In the event that an audit reveals discrepancies or violations, the processing of Mileage Plan awards, mileage accrual or redemption of accrued mileage may be suspended until the discrepancies or violations are resolved to Alaska Airlines' satisfaction. Alaska Airlines reserves the right to terminate the membership and/or suspend access to the mileage balance of any member at any time for any reason it deems appropriate.