FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RTW re-issue concerns (merged thread)
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:29 pm
helgaflyer

@2old4coach (love the username!): thx for sharing your experiences. Regarding your questions, the ticket was issued by an agent with JL as the plating carrier. It is not ex-CAI but is also an "at-risk" ticket because of the fare circumstances. From reports by others with this same type of ticket it seems that if a RTW trip has already begun and the pax requests a change requiring reissue, other airlines have [sometimes] re-issued the ticket and have taken ownership of the ticket without any problem. OTOH, if the reissue is not done correctly it could clearly influence/invalidate the remainder of the ticket. In my case, I see an easy error that could occur related to dates: BA15 departs LHR on date X and arrives SYD date X+2. If an agent is willing to break up the trip into 2 segments (BA11+BA15), then BA11 should depart on date X but the agent would have to ensure that s/he cancels my original flight on BA15 and tickets me for the second half of BA15 to depart SIN on date X+1. If it is not done correctly (as in the sobering example offered by Wasabi Tofu) then poof! a no-show occurs and there goes the remainder of the ticket. It seems that, far from being an exact science, the success of changing these tickets relies heavily (and perhaps exclusively) on the knowledge and skills of the humans who intervene in an attempt to "help" the pax. Now, if only I could devise a way to both get my flights changed AND earn 600 euros.... <wink>