FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RTW re-issue concerns (merged thread)
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:20 pm
2old4coach

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by helgaflyer
I’m hoping those with more experience can provide a modicum of guidance re: a RTW flight change. One segment (but not the first segment) of my AONE5 is BA15, LHR-SYD direct with a brief refueling stop in SIN. BA15 departs LHR @ 21:45 while BA11 (direct LHR-SIN) departs LHR @19:05. With the intent of trying to spend more time in SIN, I was considering changing my RTW segment from BA15 to BA11 (LHR-SIN) + BA15 (SIN-SYD). I would try to make this change while transiting through LHR on the day of travel. Assuming there is F/A availability, the questions that arise: 1) would this necessitate a reissue? On one hand, there is no change to origin/destination/date of travel/stopover; OTOH it adds an additional segment to the JL-plated RTW, making my total segments 14 instead of 13. Or, since BA is the carrier, is there a day-of-travel alternative available to the agents because they operate the 2 flights in question? 2) There are varied reports regarding the BA ticket desk that would have the necessary expertise to handle this, i.e. transit desk vs First Class Check-in before security. Any personal experiences to suggest who I should approach first? Note: there is much discussion on the BA forum re: these specific flights but most is in relation to award travel or upgrades and none that I could find related to RTW tickets. Thanks in advance, even if your advice is to leave my itinerary alone because making this type of change would be asking for trouble.
I find trying to make chages to a RTW at the LHR desk difficult. Perhaps others have had different experiences. Are you traveling with check in luggage?
I have taken the one stop same flight number flights transiting SIN on QF from SYD. It is just not a refueling stop. One has to exit the aircraft, take carry on items, go through security checks an then re board. I was at max segments so I could not stop, but you have less than 16 segments so that is not an issue. I would consider making those changes before departure. Are you on an EX CAI RTW ticket? All of my changes were after the first segment was flown. JL is the issuing carrier or was it issued via an agent?
2) QF also has a LHR-SIN-SYD flight.
3) I found most changes to flights required a re issuance. Perhaps some charges for local exit taxes from Singapore. There should not be a change fee because it is not a rerouting. Keep in mind: not every agent and airline reads the rules the same way....
It does not hurt to call the airline and ask. Good luck.