FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Financial Times article on BA wines. FT gets a mention.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:08 pm
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The point I was trying to make was 6€ at mass procurement level is somewhat different to what a consumer will pay, 6€ is misleading set on its own,
But it wasn't set on its own, JR clearly explained that this was the cellar door price, and I personally do not think that anyone on this thread mistook it for a retail price. So with regards to your point that a €6 cellar door price is nowhere near a €6 retail price, I agree entirely. JR's point, however, was that a €6 exclusion threshold for F wine bottles is extremely low and I agree entirely with her on that too.

For what it's worth, based on volume alone, I would personally be surprised if the bulk prices negotiated by BA for their F needs are any lower than those negotiated by Majestic and Aldi, but I am admittedly not privy to any of those companies' purchasing contracts. To be honest, I think that the lower end of your estimate/higher end of mine, ie around £15 is probably not far from right for £5 cellar door. I really wouldn't think that £20 or more is - that to me would be a cellar door price of £7-8 (€8.50-10) so well above BA's threshold, and I do think that my original lower end of £12 was too low (probably £3.50-4). I haven't had those discussions for a long time, but I seem to remember that a £10 retail bottle typically has about £3 worth of wine in it and a £5 bottle not even £0.50. Shocking stuff when you think of the amount of work and love that can go into those bottles, but that is unfortunately all too common in the food industry whereby producers get very little for their work.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 22, 2019 at 1:30 pm