FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:47 am
williwaw

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
How much is MVPG really worth? I'm MVP currently and will probably earn it for next year, but not MVPG. I have a corporate fasttrack to MVPG that I believe only lasts to the end of this year, but I need to get 10k miles by the end of March. I'll be at a smidge over 5k organically, so I'd likely need to do an MR to BOS (or stop in PDX on the way to JFK maybe) to get it done.

However, I'm not really sure if the benefits of MVPG will be worth the day spent in an airplane + ~$300 for X or closer to $400 for main fare and a (small) chance of an upgrade. As of right now, I'm planning on 2 RT SEA-PIT trips this year, possibly 1 SEA-MCI, and possibly 1 SEA-IND. Otherwise mostly just trips up and down the west coast, mainly to/from FAT where MVP is enough for an F upgrade. Would MVPG get me a much greater shot of upgrades on any of those transcon or mid-con flights I might be doing?

Otherwise, I do value the no change or cancellation fees, but not $400 worth I don't think. I'll also be travelling with a companion on 1, maybe 2 at most of those transcon/mid-con trips that I mentioned, so that isn't a big factor to me either.

Is it worth it in this case?
Its hard to value the complimentary upgrades (ones at the 72 hour mark for MVPG) - this year I've snagged a complimentary upgrade for a companion and I for a flight to Hawaii. You also receive the 4 GGU codes that are great if space is available. Also the extra 50% mileage earn over MVP is nothing to sneeze at. Based on your routing it might be a side benefit more than a direct one if you are already having good luck with MVP.

Edit: Another benefit - no fee cancellations (or low fee if partner) on award travel for your entire party.

Last edited by williwaw; Feb 22, 2019 at 11:29 am