FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:48 am
flashware

Originally Posted by Steven Trembacki
I've read through this thread over and over and followed many of the links to different guides, but I haven't found anywhere with tips/tricks on how to get around BA fees/taxes on redemptions from LHR. Is there a thread for this? The only reference I see is from the sticky below:

I am US based in UK, and the the majority of the reason i joined BAEC was to help with leisure travel for me and family back to the US. Seems I may have made a mistake if it's going to cost me over £1000 PLUS tons of avios to do this...I'm better off getting a cheap fare from United or somewhere.

Do the BA carrier fees apply if you book through other Oneworld alliances? How does one do this with Avios? Also, is there a way to fly from another airport (i.e. BHX) to bypass the LHR taxes? I've seen Aer Lingus takes Avios, and they do BHX-DUB-(US places), but not sure how to look into availability as those flights don't come up on BA's website.
JER and INV are your best alternatives as they don't charge APD. Of course you need to factor in positioning flights using £££ or Avios.

Unfortunately yes that's the way it goes and other oneworld partners will cost just as much. EI is an option (ex-Ireland) for lower surcharges/taxes but best to call BA to book them.