FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA refusing compensation - advice please
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:14 am
jonclay

BA refusing compensation - advice please

Hello

I was recently booked on a direct flight from Houston to Heathrow and BA cancelled it 6 days before it was due to depart. We were rebooked on flights stopping in Dallas which meant we arrived more than four and a half hours later than the original scheduled arrival time. When we called to rebook, BA said the flight had been cancelled for “operational reasons”. We lodged a claim for compensation under EU rule 261/2004 as we were told less than 7 days before the flight, it was greater than 3500km and the arrival time was more than 4 hours later than scheduled.

BA’s response said that the cancellation was because of the problems with the Trent engine on the 787-900 and the need to “inspect and maintain” the engines. BA said this was beyond their control and so compensation was not payable. I have tried twice and BA refused compensation both times and won’t set out what the escalation routes are.

All the other Houston to Heathrow flights in January used the 787-900 and so I still feel this cancellation was not outside of BA’s control as the Trent engine problems were notified to airlines a year ago and so compensation is due.

Any advice would be great, thank you
Jon