FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:48 pm
mozilla

Originally Posted by riphamilton
or, more likely, a social media post that shows a confirmation number. people are incredibly naive/reckless with that sort of information these days.
Some hide the number but keep the barcode intact, which allows the PNR to be derived. Or they hide part of the barcode not realizing that the barcode has correction/replication still allowing the PNR to be derived if it is partly unreadable.

Also, give me an hour at any airport, and I'll come back to you with at least 10 different paper boarding passes that were abandoned.

Then again, a whole worldwide industry has relied for decades on the simple LAST NAME/PNR combo, and changing that would have enormous complications, costs millions of dollars and take months if not years.

Originally Posted by riphamilton
OP, please relay as much of this info as possible to UA corporate security. i'd mail print-outs of everything you have, simply because i don't trust that an outsourced CSR will successfully relay your info to WHQ.
I've become more and more convinced "Corporate Security" doesn't do much as long as it's not something that costs the company money (not specifically UA). Here you could argue UA's reputation is on the line, but is it really, and would that keep people from flying with UA, and is it worth it to go after a scammer in a foreign untouchable country vs going after hidden city violations and certs bartering?