FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:39 pm
kalo93406

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Originally Posted by Kalboz
I have stayed at both and I can confidently tell you that there is really no comparison between the MMPQ and the 4P. The MMQP is light years ahead of the 4P! With ~$30 difference in rate, why not just stay at the WGS and save yourself the troubles! At least the WGS have a lounge (albeit a small one) and they are next door to T-21. Convention property or not, the MMQP is awesome. Let us examine the 4P:
  • The breakfast at the Eatery with limited options but ok.
  • No real upgrade possibility (Hardly any Platinum recognition)
  • Low rise so not really good views.
  • No club lounge so no real happy hour at the 4P. They give you one (or 2) beer and no food at all at their pub.
  • The hard product is weak as many FTers have complained about the 4P shower water pressure, the faulty faucet design (splash), and flood susceptibility after taking a shower.
  • Small rooftop pool (8th floor) but direct sun exposure.
  • They have tuk-tuk shuttle to the nearest BTS station and a back door if you want to avoid the seedy scene or the Indian tailors
I won't say which hotel is better, but the MMQP obviously should be better just based on the hotel type, but many of your points are not exactly accurate.
  • The breakfast at the Eatery with limited options but ok. *** Not at all limited and why would you say this? It's one of the most varied breakfasts I've had in 100 nights the past year. I'm not going to detail all the reasons it's not limited, but IT's NOT.
  • No real upgrade possibility (Hardly any Platinum recognition) *** Upgraded to suite all 4 nights on 1st stay, 2 of four nights on 2nd stay. Other benefits. 1 item of laundry (wash and press)each day, 1 hour anytime happy hour, coffee drinks any time at the eatery.(including iced coffee).
  • Low rise so not really good views. *** This point is right. Some views are fine though.
  • No club lounge so no real happy hour at the 4P. They give you one (or 2) beer and no food at all at their pub. *** Not accurate. Platinum+ get one hour of free drinks at the pool bar. In some ways it's better as you can pick your hour between 4 and midnight. Yes there is no free food in the evening hours, but honestly I just overeat when I have to much free food. I'm sort of happy when I don't have food all day long. Platinum+ also get coffee all day in the Eatery if desired.
  • The hard product is weak as many FTers have complained about the 4P shower water pressure, the faulty faucet design (splash), and flood susceptibility after taking a shower. *** I didn't have any of these issues, but I'll say the shower is small in standard rooms. The suite shower was large and perfect. There are probably areas where the 4P is weaker for sure though.
  • Small rooftop pool (8th floor) but direct sun exposure. *** Poor point as the pool isn't that small and considering the number of rooms at each hotel the MMQP should be at least 4 times larger which it's not. Also during my stays the pool wasn't that busy and there were always lounge chairs available.
  • They have tuk-tuk shuttle to the nearest BTS station and a back door if you want to avoid the seedy scene or the Indian tailors *** These "seedy" issues people bring up are just ridiculous. It's Bangkok!
I'm sure the MMQP is better than Four Points in many ways. Right now it's $50/night w/taxes higher for nights I checked. The $50 might be a good value for some, but not all. Seems like you might get access to the lounge for all of your family when it really should just be for two people? Anyway your points were off some IMO. I'd like to try the MMQP though.. Cheers..

Last edited by kalo93406; Feb 21, 2019 at 1:54 pm