FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:15 am
ExplorerWannabe

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jiajun
Yes, it's possible to do it. But is it allowed by UA policy?
Not only allowed but required if I want to use one of my certificates against a family member's flights. For practical purposes, I could provide family with my account number and password and let them do it themselves but 1) I don't give anyone my passwords, even family and 2) doing that is a breach of TOS. Any time I call the travel agency or UA themselves to change my travel, I have to provide the booking code.

Originally Posted by J S
This is a very helpful, but please edit your post to remove at least a digit or two of the scammer's phone number. Otherwise, it is possible that someone could accidentally use that number through a mistaken google search or google could actually increase the ranking of that number.

Moderators: perhaps you can make the edit.

I would leave most of the number (just star out a digit or two) so that people will be able to recognize the number is fake if they were trying to check it.
I would note that archives of past conversations helped me out when I was stranded in Singapore Airport. I had to call UA to get my travel reinstated due to missing my connection (forest fires in Sumatra closed 4 or 5 of their airports) and my cell phone wasn't working in the airport. The only way I was finally able to contact UA without leaving the airport and entering Singapore was to search online for a non-toll-free phone number for UA customer service and I found it in archived chats (probably FlyerTalk itself although I don't remember that detail).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 21, 2019 at 1:33 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member