FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:22 pm
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Nick311
I have a roundtrip award flight booked, the departure (DSM > PHL > CUN) is a Business/First MileSAAver (mixed cabin) award while the return (CUN > ORD > DSM) is an Economy MileSAAver award. DSM > PHL is in economy, while PHL > CUN is in business.

First class (via Business/First MileSAAver) is available for the DSM > PHL leg, is that enough to get switched from economy or does a Business/First MileSAAver award need to be available for all of DSM > PHL > CUN?

Previous comments in this thread lead me to believe just DSM > PHL availability is enough, but I'm running in to some issues getting that switched so either things have changed or I was wrong in my assumption.
Previously all you needed was the DSM-PHL to open up in business for you to switch. Now however with AA's frequent married segment availability there are scenarios in which you need the entire DSM-PHL-CUN to be open in business to switch. Definitely give AA a call though and ask to change now that the DSM-PHL is open in business, we won't be able to tell you definitively.