FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Efficient ways to earn Platinum
View Single Post
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:29 pm
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
That's exactly a good roundup of why AY+ isn't really that good for chasing specifically OW Emerald status, unless you really are out of for AY+ FFP status specifically and you travel mostly AY.
... but I unfortunately can't see specifically AY+ status worthwile for those of us that reach FFP status mainly or only with leisure reservations.

I don't need to travel AY for work and I certainly don't wish to limit my leisure travels to the AY network, while also trying to maintain my OW FFP status at the same time. With AY+ status chasing I'd have to travel more exclusively with AY. Yes, maintaining OW Emerald is easier, once you hit Platinum, but I'd then be stuck to mostly doing AY flights. The cost for reaching Platinum with AY+ is just on a whole another level than with BAEC. As a real case example: I will regain Gold (OW Emerald) this spring for something like 2600 € and that's going to be in excess of the 1500 tier points threshold (lost count, something like 1700-1750 TPs in total). And that's including not just BA, but AY and others as well. If I'd limit myself to flying like any of the suggested options 1-4, my travels would be too limited to my taste. Or then I'd have to do my desired trips on top of that. Sure, I can use AY codeshare through the Joint Venture for North American itineraries, but overall I'd still be more limited in my options.

That having said, my point here is that chasing Platinum with AY+ with just leisure travel isn't necessarily a well thought idea and I recommend looking at the bigger picture. I'm not a nay sayer, but I myself haven't previously been able to justify any plausible way of reaching OWE with AY+, if the status is earned with purely leisure travel and no corporate travel. I myself justify BAEC with the easily attainable OWE and how versatile the Avios scheme is. Plus there's a similar status based award mile bonus (i.e. Avios tier bonus ) like with AY+, but it includes not just the FFP carrier itself, but also AA, IB and JL. If I'd chase for AY+ Platinum, I'd then have to have good use for the AY+ specific perks and some of it is negated as I'd have to book J tickets, unless I'd also book some longhaul Y trips. Lumo could be an interesting experience, but it'd be a bridge too far with my current travel amounts. Maybe a once in a lifetime challenge to be had some day.
Interesting post and I do see the points.

I've been that person using AY+ and qualifying plat for many years as a personal choice.

The limited choice within AY is a good point and for me personally that problem has been growing on me a few years now. First the japan joint venture (which only meant higher prices and longer layovers so Japan destinations on AY are now a no-go for me ) and then the "one new destination every year" promise (not sure they even delivered on that) where not one single destination has been announced to my liking.
So despite the growing fleet, the AY network feels more limited to me now than ever before!

My problem with BAEC is that I don't particularly want to fly BA. The network is great, but if you can't see yourself flying BA, what would be the point?
One could do (as many does) fly QR and credit to BA. Because of zoning, there are some routes that earns very well.
But a BA gold is worth little when flying QR. I guess most people who do this, does it on top of their BA flights to get to one of the supertiers.

AA also seems pointless to me as I never fly westwards.

I held QR Gold besides the AY plat for a while, but at that time I would not make QR plat and stayed with the familiar AY. QR status on QR flights is good though, it has landed me op-up to First.

And there-in lies the problem for me, I guess. AY+ offers almost nothing for a revenue J flyer. It basically just takes all the normal J perks and hand them to the Y flyers. If you're already in J cabin, tier doesn't matter much. If there was a F cabin, a real F lounge, a dedicated top-notch CS, well then there would be a case.
But the pinnacle of AY top tier treatment is a 2 minute ride in a Mercedes on the tarmac of Sjöskog flygstation. That is quite telling. I'd much rather walk down the jetbridgde to a F cabin once in a while.