FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Interesting Bloomberg Report/Theory on Marriott Woes Driving HHonors Enrollments
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:43 am
mh3265a

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by christianj
I'm not sure I agree! I think they understand the problems and challenges but I do not think they have handled them well at all. A simple email to the members saying "we know there are issues that are inconveniencing you and we are working on it and anticipate it to be resolved by XYZ date" would have gone a long way. Instead they acted like nothing was wrong and then referred to the complaints about all the issues as "noise around the edges!" I know for a fact I spent several hours on hold with the elite lines trying to sort simple issues that should have been easily resolved.

As for the database hack, IMHO they blamed SPG and then sort of swept the issue under the rug. That was essentially the least they could do to avoid a huge PR issue that would immediately devalue their investment in Starwood.

I'm somewhat hopeful there is a light at the end of the tunnel BUT in the meantime I am looking elsewhere and finding that maybe it's not always greener on the other side but there are some bright green spots. The big issue is...before with SPG I likely would not have looked anywhere else to begin with.
I feel as if I did get an email in November or December from Marriott saying just that "sorry for the problems/inconveniences you've faced". I didn't save it but I do recall seeing something from them.

In regards to the database hack they did blame SPG but they set up a call center and did notify folks. Was it perfect - NO - but better than any private firm that has encountered this level of a hack.

I do agree with you that's it not always greener on the other side. Many people left UA-CO during the merger and went to AA but regretted that decision once AA merged with US Airways. I think Hilton has led the devaluation bandwagon so I would be cautious about moving. I think Hyatt is a better program right now but they are too small given the type of travel I have in business now.