FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:20 pm
icegirl
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by aristoph

Are BA mixed fleet crew so badly paid relative to airlines that can deliver consistently high standards in First that it explains the service differential? I get why a £2k ticket doesn’t get you vintage wines or a private car from the lounge to the terminal, but I’m not sure why it means you don’t get addressed with politeness by the crew and have to be grateful if you receive a premium service. At the end of the day staff are a relatively minor part of the cost of an airline ticket. I don’t think it’s because they are so badly paid that BA staff are inconsistent in delivering a reliable service to their First passengers.
Then again premium service sector employees in the UK don’t usually tend to be British these days. If you go into 5 star hotel, 2/3 star Michelin restaurant or premium branded shops most if not all will have a higher ratio of non British nationals. I have long suspected we are now a nation to be served than to serve. In the case of BA crew and regardless of them being new or old fleet, I have always found them pretty spot on never to the point to send me into a meltdown because I never got an onboard welcome or how the wine was served etc..

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Cheap pay for crew or cheap tickets? The tickets are certainly not cheap. Picking random dates in March, I priced out YVR-LHR for a one week return trip. F came in at $15,569, or roughly £9025. Same flight in Y is $1160, or £672. For that sort of money I would expect F to be perfect.

Quite normal prices, people who pay these fares don’t really care.

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
When the mixed fleet crew concept came about, we were assured by BA that they go through the same training as the WW fleet.

So why are the ones I’ve encountered always nervous, raw around the edges and at times clueless and inconfident? Is this down to the relatively lower calibre of the unmotivated people that BA recruits, or insufficiently administered training?
Well excuse me but I suppose when you first went into your trade of work in whatever that might be you were perfect out of the gate and ongoing performance was well rewarded?

On one of my last flights which was MF and one of the crew was new but she was being mentored by a senior member of staff at all times.