FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 11½-hour daytime flight in darkness
View Single Post
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:23 am
xenole

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've mentioned in a previous post that during a LHR-LAX 12:30pm flight, the windows on my 787 were locked on fully dark for between 1/2-2/3 of the flight.
Prior to that, the sun coming in from the A side was going straight through my divider that was up and also reflecting off the K side cabin wall. I did appreciate some dimming in that respect but not for the bulk of the flight.

I had no intention of being forced to sleep for say 8hrs of a lunchtime flight that arrived mid-afternoon into Los Angeles.
The windows being practically purple tinted made it very hard to see much outside.

The blind thing is one reason I'm not keen on the 9:20pm or so departure from LAX. Even though you land in LHR after 3pm, and it may well have been light for 8-9hrs in the UK for a 10hr flight, you're still forced to try and sleep in a darkened cabin and it really would screw up my body clock if I were doing so.

I've had overnight flights were it's dark outside at take-off and landing and still the blinds are closed against my will. Ok, there might be a blinking light on the wing, but that shouldn't bother anyone really. Wear an eye shade if it's that bad.

Really annoyed me the first time I flew QF to SYD. About 6am, a couple of hours before landing, and sitting in 2A in F, I decided to look out the window to see my first views of Australia. The crew over-rode my window blinds.