FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Official - GLOBAL UPGRADE CERT success thread - Yay! I got it!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:59 am
mot29

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by angra
What is the current best practice for finding & applying upgrades pre-booking? I have a trip to Asia coming up in the fall for which I have very flexible dates, and would like to buy tickets that I can upgrade with my GUC.

Is it: Call DM desk; ask if specific flights have upgrade space; repeat until finding space or giving up; hang up; purchase; call back and request upgrades ?
My path to success has been calling the DM line, explaining that I want to use GUCs, the general time frame and being flexible. Have often gotten flights within several days on either side of the date that I'm looking for. Flexibility includes dates of travel, destinations (NRT/HND), connection cities. Also willingness to book with the upgrade just on the over-water legs. Seems strange but I've had the domestic legs waitlist while the DTW/SEA/JFK/MSP-off shore legs clear at booking. Generally the domestic clears directly into C+ and then later upgrades to first.