FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Apple Pay & Suica on iPhone/Apple Watch in Japan [consolidated thread]
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:56 am
paperwastage

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just curious if anyone else bought an IPhone 7+ in Japan and brought it to the USA and has been using it on TMobile. I have a Japan IP7+ model NN6F2J/A/A1785 which I have been using on AT&T Prepaid for a long time without any issues.

So now the geniuses at AT&T are changing their prepaid plan to downscale Canada/Mexico data roaming to 2G which makes them a non-starter for me, so I thinking of switching to TMobile prepaid, which for the same price as AT&T gives me 10GB data, tethering, and Canada/Mexico roam all at LTE.

I haven't tried this phone on TMobile, so I am curious if anyone has any experience to share.

I can sort of answer my own question now - outside of Band 71, the Japan phone is fine on TMobile - the issue is the ongoing rollout of Band 71 to improve service in rural areas, and this band is not on the Japan IP7+.

So, assuming SUICA is now fully supported on all global iPhone regardless of where they are purchased, I can upgrade my phone at a later date when needed to get Band 71 and keep my SUICA services.
​Probably outside the scope of this thread, but some pointers:
​​​​​​
For band 71, it depends on where you go within continental USA. Check various maps to see if TMobile has 71 licenses in your region, and whether they deployed it. Do the same check for band 12 - If they have 12 licenses, I expect them to deploy them (and a lot more phones, yours included, supports 12)

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...t_map_8292018/

​​​​​​​Many phones still do not have 71 yet, and 71 is probably most useful in rural areas where TMobile doesn't have enough density for band 4/5 AND does not have 12 licenses