FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HKG: Exiting the airport after going to the lounge
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:17 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by kaka

how is using a lounge w an onboard flight cheating

HKIA seems to believe it is against their regulations to enter airside "without the intent to fly". likewise, what the poster everyone is responding to said...is not very clever. "Hi, I want a shower and then intend to go into town". I am not a lawyer, nor do I have any clue how enforceable any of this is. But they've told me this in multiple conversations, I've asked this exact scenario before.

I don't actually think it is ever (maybe rarely?) enforced in this situation. Especially since I don't think there is any way to prove it. But in this case, the passenger basically said as much to the lounge staff lol. And like I said in my post above, CX doesn't have much incentive to screw the passenger over and make him the rare case to get in trouble for this. So they delay the hell out of it and have plausible deniability - they can say the passenger was persistent, them delaying him 60-90 minutes obviously shows they're not encouraging it, etc.

But yea, only if you're trying to throw a wrench into your plans and delay yourself, should you emulate the poster roughly: "Hi, I'm not here to fly right now, but rather just enjoy the services and bounce into town."