FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:20 am
nldogbert

Originally Posted by cosmo74
I had similar experiences on my recent F flights to and from Cape Town, although the crew on the return were more attentive than on the outbound, we were in 1AK and seemed to get forgotten about quite a bit - eg they didn't bother to take my food order, they started with the person in 2A and just worked backwards, so i had to ask someone if they would take it when i went to the loo. I enjoyed the food on the way out, but inbound it was very poor - avoid the lamb if you are flying in Feb - a minute portion of meat surrounded (although surrounded by a lot of fat) which was seriously over-cooked, the cheese was also very poor compared to that served from LHR. I too thought it was a shame that there was no South African wine served.
I just completed my first First from CPT-LHR and totally agree with the lamb dish. When I first saw it, I was about to call back the FA to enquire what was that on my plate, however after cutting through it, I was OMG. Well, I did finish it (sans the fat) - never seen such fatty lamb before on board planes nor at mid-level restaurants on the ground. There was a couple of green beans which they did try and make it elegant, but it was clearly not the most elegant beans I've had especially for First.

Lamb dish on BA First

As for the service, it was OK at best - but as have been said so many times, BA First is basically a sort of J-class, however still one step down from quite a number of other J-service out there, e.g. Qatar J and even dare I say DL's or AA's J.
What I find really funny was that it seems like BA is living in some kind of parallel universe when it comes down to thinking that they can be an elegant airline
- most of the glasses, wine and champagne flutes - had the BA First words on them - however the glasses were so not elegant - thick and just not suitable for a First service. Even Aeroflot has much better champagne flutes.
- Not sure why they cannot address guests by name in such a small cabin - and each side only 5-6 guests to serve, is that so difficult?
- at least on my flight - I believe the CSM was doing his round when I was off to the toilet - but basically after seeing him once (twice including during boarding) - never saw a glimpse of him during the whole flight.
- yes in general the catering was not the most interesting catering out there especially for First - including the options, very unflattered with the options.
- is it normal for First not to get a single round of hot towels? None was presented at all (or unless they did it when I was in the toilet - but on even an average airline I would have been asked if I was missed during the service).

My travel companion left a day earlier and although not some one picky at all, had negative comments especially for the crew - I guess this is expected with the mix fleet crew.

I really hope that the improvement promised for the different cabins will bring some true improvement rather than some lipstick on a pig type of improvements.

Cheers!