FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - “middle seat row hog”
View Single Post
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:38 pm
drewguy

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by eng3
I don't quite understand this strategy. I've seen couples book a window and aisle in hopes that the middle seat will stay open. Worst case, if the middle seat does show up (and the couple wants to sit together), the middle seat person will always be willing to switch into a window or aisle.

If you are flying alone, why would you risk being stuck in the middle vs just picking a window and aisle. What are the chances the flight will be so empty you will have an empty row. And if it is empty that empty, just pick the empty row.
+1. I've seen the middle-middle seat taken on 3-3-3 configs and always wondered if the person figures it's a better strategy than taking one of the two aisles. Yes, it holds off the couple who wants seats together, but usually they can find another pair to take.

I've sometimes popped in next to that person on one of the aisles, figuring it increases my chances of getting an empty middle (either original pax in middle will move to other aisle, or will move once the other aisle is taken).