FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
View Single Post
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:39 pm
peter h

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by Lefly
I've a couple of questions related to a next AUH/DXB-CGK run I'm finishing* planning, one about BA for the positioning flight, the other semi-OT regarding a DXB b2b.

Let's start with BA. What kind of WTP should I expect on the overnight BA106 DXB-LHR served by a 777?
There is availability to upgrade to CW on the date I need, but since I'm not avios rich I want to be sure of what WTPs can offer here before spending 20K avios. Keep in mind I never ever tried WTP before.

Now the semi-OT. Anyone here has experienced a DXB b2b on a CGK run? I really would like to book two of them to avoid an "unnecessary" night stop in AUH, and it seems that DXB permits mobile BPs and there is a transfer desk that can process CC checks and the like for UL. However, I want to play safe, so any experience and suggestion are more than welcome.
I did the DXB-CGK run last month - and in WTP on BA to position.

WTP out on a 777 (BA109) was okay (my first experience too), but for a shortish overnight flight, Y wouldn't have been too much of a hardship.

Coming back on BA106, I was more fortunate. It was overnight Sunday/Monday on a 744 and overbooked so, even as a bronze, I got bumped up to 61A!

Regarding the DXB B2B, I'll defer to anyone who has actually done it, because I didn't. However, it does look possible. I arrived into DXB from CMB and, instead of taking the train to arrivals (I was HBO, so no checked bags to pick up), I stayed in T1, went up (or down, I can't remember!) an escalator to the right into a small security check and then immediately into the area where all the transfer desks are. I had to check in for my BA flight home, but it looked like all the desks (presumably including UL) were pretty quiet.

Looking at FlightRadar24, the return flight to CMB (UL226) is usually behind schedule, so that might give you some extra leeway.