FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - “middle seat row hog”
View Single Post
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:16 pm
neo_781

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eng3
So you don't actually change your seat on the app (I assume it would be too late). You just sit in the middle seat in hopes that no one decides to move over to the aisle (from their assigned seat?)

If I were directly across from you and in the middle, as soon as the door closes, I'd just move over and take the empty aisle seat.
If you were still seated in the middle, I'd ask if you could move over.

If i were in the window/aisle, I'd encourage the middle person to move.
All true and if it was me I would move back to my original seat. However in reality (or at least my experience) most people will just give up if they see the person sitting like that. Also I've seen people put their stuff on the seat as well or also in extreme cases lay down during the final stages of boarding.

To be clear, lest people think ill of me ... My experience doing this is flying ORD-LHR in Dec, Jan and Feb when the planes are full in J but sparse in Coach and on a 767. In my experiences Iast winter doing this, unless it was a couple/group there was no one sitting in a middle seat so grabbing the set of 3 (in the middle section) was quite easy and really didn't negatively impact anyone else's flight. If they did want one of the 3 seats in my row then they'd just be trading one aisle for a different aisle and not really improving their seat.