FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Apple Pay & Suica on iPhone/Apple Watch in Japan [consolidated thread]
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:31 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just curious if anyone else bought an IPhone 7+ in Japan and brought it to the USA and has been using it on TMobile. I have a Japan IP7+ model NN6F2J/A/A1785 which I have been using on AT&T Prepaid for a long time without any issues.

So now the geniuses at AT&T are changing their prepaid plan to downscale Canada/Mexico data roaming to 2G which makes them a non-starter for me, so I thinking of switching to TMobile prepaid, which for the same price as AT&T gives me 10GB data, tethering, and Canada/Mexico roam all at LTE.

I haven't tried this phone on TMobile, so I am curious if anyone has any experience to share.

I can sort of answer my own question now - outside of Band 71, the Japan phone is fine on TMobile - the issue is the ongoing rollout of Band 71 to improve service in rural areas, and this band is not on the Japan IP7+.

So, assuming SUICA is now fully supported on all global iPhone regardless of where they are purchased, I can upgrade my phone at a later date when needed to get Band 71 and keep my SUICA services.

Last edited by bocastephen; Feb 17, 2019 at 11:06 pm