FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nut allergy
Thread: Nut allergy
View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:38 pm
ttama

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by steve170461
We travelled in F to KUL last week. I refused the pre flight nuts as I have a mild allergic reaction to walnuts. I had a discussion with the CC about it. On getting to breakfast time I just ordered the fruit but also a Danish pastry to go with the coffee. As soon as I bit into the pastry my walnut reaction started. I was feeling pretty rough and spent some time vomiting in the restroom. The final 2 hours of the flight was a bit of a write off, me having to drink copious amounts of water to offset the reaction. The CC were very good and a golden ticket has been awarded accordingly. They were surprised, as was I , about the Danish containing walnuts as they believed they knew all products on board which contained nuts. They also said they were making a note in the trip report.

I emailed BA a few days later explaining the issue and have copied part of the reply:

"Thanks for letting us know what happened on your flight to Kuala Lumpur on ## February. I apologise for the delay in my response. I completely understand why you’re annoyed your Danish pastry didn’t meet the standard you would expect from us.

We’ve investigated the issues you’ve raised and we’ve examined the ingredients in the meal you were served. We haven’t found any evidence that might suggest your pastry contained any ingredients that should not have been present, or which were not declared."

They also offered 10k Avios. I don't have any other allergies and I have no doubt that this contained, or had been in contact with, walnuts

Is this reasonable for BA to be so lax about what was a potentially much more serious issue?

Thanks
I'm severely allergic to walnuts. After I queried the ingredients of a bread roll that seemed nutty / seedy, the crew wouldn't serve me any bread or breakfast pastries, not even a plain croissant. I felt quite aggrieved at the time, especially as they'd only loaded 2 fruit plates for the whole of CW and in the end I had practically no breakfast at all I thought they were being overdramatic, saying they couldn't guarantee there was no cross-contamination. But in retrospect it was better to be hungry than risk dying on board. I now feel bad about criticising the crew I still think BA should load more fruit plates