FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting charged for a stopover
View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:42 pm
Alisonnoonan

Programs: Skywards (Gold), Star Alliance (Gold), Turkish Airlines (Elite +)
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Well, before going all Terminator on them a few things to consider, the same fare class being available doesn't mean there is no fare difference as surcharges and fare basis could differ. So the question arises does the same fare basis remain valid for your new dates for instance (blackout dates and such). If for some reason there's a difference in fare basis then perhaps the cost is the same but rules differ, or the rules have changed for the same fare basis, in which case I'm not sure which would prevail.

I'd have a look on ExpertFlyer what the current rules for your fare are. Lastly you say you were repeatedly told, how many times did you call? I'd honestly try call back again and request for a team leader to review the fare rules and pricing.

Ultimately if you live in a country where these things are easy (UK might be one) just file a chargeback for that portion of the fee.

Does it charge the fee if you try change it online (if you are able to)

Haha....I didn't go all terminator on them.
Actually I called back to book after posting here and reading the comments and then all the savers had run out and the fee they then quoted was more than booking a new ticket with another airline. I left it a few hours, called back, and savers were available again. The agent also wanted to charge £100 plus taxes for the stopover, so I said I was happy to pay under protest for the sake of finalising the booking and would sort it out afterwards. She put me on hold and came back and said the supervisor had decided it should be waivered because at best the wording was ambiguous. To be honest, the wording wasn't even ambiguous, but I let that comment go
I had called 3 times earlier in the day. Actually I hate changing tickets over the phone, I like to do it on a computer and see all the options and work out my other logistics, but the system said no. Despite having bought my ticket direct with the Emirates too. Apparently having my ticket reissued to add the complimentary bus from Abu Dhabi to the airport stopped me being able to make any changes online! It would have been much easier if I'd been able to compare options online.
Yes there were too many calls. After the first one I needed to read my T&Cs before booking because I wasn't expecting to pay for the stopover. On the 2nd call they were telling me even higher stopover charges than the first call and after third one I was giving up the will to live and decided to double check what other airlines were offering on new tickets

I do think they need to change the wording of their T&Cs. I have no problem paying fees that I am warned about upfront, but if I'm told I'm allowed a free stopover each direction I don't want to then pay for it. I would rather pay more and buy a ticket from another airline than feel cheated, but that is my issue.

I really appreciate the comments. I had wondered if chargebacks were possible, but hearing others comment about that reassured me. I will get advice when I'm back home to see if them forcing the charge could have made it possible to refund the entire ticket since it is a breach of their terms of contract. I bet if a few people did that they would be less inclined to clobber customers with unfair charges

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.