FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:50 am
RobOnLI
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
2/16: SEA-SFO oversold by 3. I volunteered during mobile check-in but the only options they gave me to my final destination (not SFO) were the following day. It's interesting to note that I attempted app check-in several times but never completed it as I was waiting to SDC to a different flight. Each time the voucher options I could select increased, starting at a high of $500 to a high of $850. I ultimately finished app check-in with an $850 offer.

I got to the airport early to try and standby on the earlier flight. I also had to check a bag and the agent was happy to tag it for the earlier flight. SWEET. I finished "first loser" on the standby list for the earlier flight as that was also overbooked and they bumped one person.

As I'm waiting for the gate to open for my originally scheduled flight I looked at my reservation on the app. Someone manually added an AS segment non-stop to my destination. Odd... Gate opens, I'm #2 in line and the first guy takes 15 minutes and they're discussing the oversale and a bump. It's finally my turn and the agent tells me I'm not #1 on the volunteer list but if I'm the easiest to take they'll take me. She noticed someone already put the AS non-stop in my reservation so she asked me if I would take $500. I said no problem.

Fast forward and the flight is missing two people not boarded...me and 15B. One agent goes onto the plane and comes back and says 15B is boarded. YES! Bump time. They take my seat, give it to the girl waiting patiently to get on the flight and then processes my bump voucher. I also asked about a meal voucher since I don't get 'free' food on AS like I would on UA for being 1K. Those snack boxes have saved me many times.

Oddly, during this whole time, someone manually went into my reservation and removed the AS non-stop. Thankfully it was Y2 still so they got me back on it. Run over to D concourse and find that flight is 30 minutes late.

Bottom line...took $500 voucher, $20 food voucher, arrived at my destination 1hr15min earlier than planned and my bag was waiting for me! All on a ticket I booked less than 24 hours before the flight.

-RM