FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy - a brand explained
View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:07 am
cre95

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by cre95
What’s interesting on a couple of recent experiences is that I’ve booked suites (since that’s what I wanted to have). You’d think that would be the easiest way to go. On my last two occasions when I check in, they’ve tried to move me to traditional rooms. I had to push back but their explanations have been that their IT systems have been creating problems and continue to offer the suites for booking when they don’t have any left. Since mine had been booked rather than upgraded, I was able to get my bookings resolved.

Originally Posted by WoodyWindy
There has always been property-to-property variance in how well benefits are handled, but I've almost always been treated well, and usually acknowledged. Upgrades are always a space-available thing, though, and therefore not guaranteed (though some hotels don't put the effort into checking availability that they should). I really haven't seen that change significantly. But I've also always maintained that if you REALLY want premium accommodations, you should book them, and not rely on the chance of an upgrade to do the job, no matter your status.
Seems like we both agree on a point ... per your quote ... "if you really want premium accommodations, you should book them"

As you'll read from my original post (included above as well), with the new Marriott, I have booked suites just to have to battle to get what I have booked once I'm checking in. Totally different experience from what I had in the past. In the past, if I booked something, it was certain I would get either "what I booked" or "better".

My experience now, is book something but you will get "inferior" or "at best, what you booked". No concept of loyalty recognition.

It seems that you are not reading people's posts and just keep reiterating that Marriott is doing great in their integration and have come up with a fabulous program name. My read of most of the responses here is that the name did not hit the spot. I agree with that. My first reaction is "What were they thinking?" I get the whole connection to Von Voyage but their name just doesn't do it for me. My view is that through an integration, the order of things should be:
1) Think customer
2) Think customer
3) Think customer
4) What can I do to keep customers from the property (i.e., SPG) I bought?
5) Go back to #1 above

Rather than smush two programs together and hope for the best. Oh, and we need a new brand, let's just pick a name and hope for the best...