FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Select M Life Policy changes and thoughts on the MGM/Hyatt relationship in 2019
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:17 am
777 global mile hound
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Select M Life Policy changes and thoughts on the MGM/Hyatt relationship in 2019

First up for guests that wish to pay for their stays in advance there is a charge to fax your credit card information over to MGM/M Life which I have words for
but will remain respectful here and be the gentleman I try to be
I believe it is in the neighborhood of 10 or 20 dollars for the courtesy of the MGM folks to give you the privilege of their taking your money

Second up I booked 4 nights months ago for March and the rates dropped considerably even on the weekend which it rarely does
The agent @ The M life desk said this would be the last time they would allow me to amend rates and a one time courtesy exception
The agent advised me that in the future they will no longer allow guests to take a lower rate by amending previously booked reservations when rates drop even on fully refundable rates
When I asked what stops me from cancelling my booking and going elsewhere or just re-booking at the new rates and the agent replied that would indeed be possible

On June 20th it will be 6 years into the Hyatt MGM relationship which launched in 2013
I have really seen a deterioration over the past 3 years especially with regards to overall guest treatment.
Obviously Platinum members are now down graded to Gold and the treatment is only marginally worse on average not that Platinum was anything to write home about
Though early on in the first year it was somewhat more impressive than the state of their CRM today.

All in all I feel typically as if I booked my room on an opaque site like Priceline even though I go through their direct booking channels
One has to negotiate for even a one of two hour extended check out
I am much happier at Hilton's new Waldorf Astoria and Marriott /SPG Properties as well as IHGs Palazzo/Venetian properties
where late check out @ 2 PM or 4 PM and suite upgrades are part of the recognition

The lines for check in (Aria) can be slow with elite check in taking longer than the general check in as it has been occasionally understaffed
These are just my general thoughts and overview
I really thought after the shooting that the MGM would be a kinder more grateful appreciative company
However all I typically see is incredible greed as they keep raising resort fees to new heights which emboldens other properties.
Having said all that I do like some of their properties just not how they take care of their guests that have status or their heavy handed attempts at monetizing everything but breathing