FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:43 pm
Unionruler

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by hugotam0
MPC members have also helped me out: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...y-program.html

Lifelong CX program participant, but the changes for the past few years caused many troubles. I recently relocated to Buffalo, NY for work. For about 9 more months here. I will be in the US at least for the next 2-3 years. Debating whether or not to switch from CX program to AA. With the amount of air traveling, I am at least a Sapphire in other programs, but CX has been especially tough. Now that I have fewer opportunities to enjoy the HKG lounges now, I'm unsure is it a good idea to switch up? I also banked a lot of credit card points from Amex Plat, so looking to utilize that with the right reward redemption program.

General travel picture:
1-2 Roundtrip flights from US - HKG per year (Econ/Prem)
1-2 major vacation flights, combine with some mileage runs.
5-10 domestic flights for work/pleasure per year

I will manage to become CX Gold before the annual cycle. But should I spend my efforts building Exec Plat instead? Should I keep my Amex Plat card with limited Centurion Lounges around me? Should I stay in for at least another cycle with all miles savings? Should I stay to focus on the upgrades for HKG flights with CX?

A newcomer in the forum here, thanks for all the help so far!

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Upgrades on travel, award redemption rates, lounges
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: >50,000miles
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: Econ/ Prem Econ
c(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes. Mostly for pleasure, minor flight trips.
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: Mostly long hauls, CX: North America (ORD/YYZ/NYC) -> HKG, AA with all my domestic flights
(6) What is your home airport?
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: Base in BUF/ YYZ
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: CX SIlver, 415 points away from Gold. Debating to move up to Gold or not. Or Participate AA Status Challenge.
(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Reply: Preferred CX. Most common AA, CX, then BA

Cheers,

Hugo
Yeahh CX status is hard to earn/ maintain even flying discount J, let alone Y/ PY. Crediting CX PY to AAdvantage while being based in North America is a well known sweet spot. The only reason not to do it is if you fly AA and want lounge access on a large volume of intra-North America travel, in which case AY (Finnair Plus) might suit you.