FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA cards: General discussion and PUBLIC online offers (2019-2020)
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:13 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cburchard2012
I got the red aviator (Barclays) at least a year or more ago, and recently approved for world elite one (Citi), which came with 50k points/miles. Then two days later I got the email about the 60k and called. They said I had to wait for physical receipt of the card and then to call cust service to see if I can apply the 60k benefit.

Anyone ever done done this with other cards in the past, or know if this will work? Alternatively can I cancel the one just approved for since I didn’t get the benefit yet, and reapply for the 60k benefit? Or does that count as ‘closing’ an account within 24 months or whatever it says?

Thanks!
Canceling counts as close, so don't close. You should be able to request a "match" to the 60k offer you got, and if that request is accepted, they'll simply give you 10k extra miles (the difference between the 50k offer you applied for and the 60k offer you then got). People have been getting such "matches" even when they just heard about a bigger offer, and didn't actually get it, so you should zero problem getting it if you actually got the bigger offer.

That "match" was probably what they were referring to, but just didn't spell out. But you can only request a "match" to a higher offer after you actually receive and activate the card.