FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HKG: Exiting the airport after going to the lounge
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:26 am
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by QRC3288
There are ways to approach it, and not to approach it, if you're breaking this technical rule. Sadly, an "emergency" is a surefire way to do it. Of course enough abusing it, and this ruins it for those of us who eventually do have an emergency and have to leave.
Originally Posted by QRC3288
there is definitely a rule that you cannot enter without "intent to fly". HKIA executives have told me this. However, I think practically the problem is everyone knows you can't police it. How the heck do you have security enforce that? Boarding pass is enough, most likely, for any passenger to win any argument let alone legal fight about intent to fly. And nobody ever gets in trouble for this, maybe not one person ever. So it would be pretty silly for CX to report people for this.
There is a way for CX to crack down on this, and allow for emergencies.

Make any passenger wishing to exit airport cancel their onward check-in, force them to pick up any bags they make have checked thorugh and then force them to rebook.
Actually I wonder why HKIA hasn't done this.

P.S. in light of LH case, reprice their ticket too as if curtailed journey!