FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Screen etiquette - should I be offended?
View Single Post
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:57 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by kaka
given that it was put up when he arrived the seat and was not lowered during safety briefing, a) crew did not do their job properly; b) the dude compromised the safety of karen - still selfish, given that the chances of actually running into an emergency is rather low.

Do you need a police to enforce driving through a red light to prove the action being dangerous, selfish, or both?
a) is completely correct indeed. For the rest, running through a red light is a traffic infraction (a low level form of ‘criminal’ violation), I do not believe that raising one’s divider is (purposefully disobeying the pilot’s order would be, but precisely, such order was not articulated here either by the pilot or by his representative). And no, I do not agree that finding the divider down makes the requirement that it be kept that way at a given time obvious or implicit. For instance, when you fly various airlines from very hot stations, you’ll often find the blinds lowered to keep the cabin less hot. It doesn’t follow opening those blinds is dangerous, in fact by the time you are ready to take off, it will have become a requirement. You also board with open luggage racks and most obviously it is not an issue to close them when they are full.

in my view, it’s very much the crew which was at fault here (unless the passenger knew divider needs to be up for the safety demo but we don’t know that he knows that...)