FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Skye without a car, for a few days?
View Single Post
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:50 am
Gagravarr

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Skye without a car, for a few days?

This July, we're thinking of taking the in-laws up to the Highlands for a week or so. Rough plan is to get one of the nifty-looking "Scottish Grand Tour rail rovers" <http://www.railrover.org/pages/scottish-grand-tour.html>, and make our way round by train:

Scottish Grand Tour rail rover map

While I've been to much of the route covered before by train / bus / car, I've never yet been out to Skye. Skye is also the part that the other-half seem most excited about visiting...

So, first query - is it practical to visit Skye for a few days in the summer, without a car, just relying on buses or tours to get around? Or do I need to plan on hiring a car for our time there, between getting the ferry/bus over and the bus off again?

Second query - my usual hotel searching techniques aren't really working for skye, mostly I guess as it's lots of little and independent places! Looking for a B&B or self catering cottage, what's a good site/sites to check to find places?