FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:26 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
A physical AmEx gave me "not authorized" when I tapped at an Albertsons here in Yuma. Based on what we've observed I'm thinking Safeway screwed something up with the EMV provisioning on everything other than Visa somehow (since MSD-only AmEx contactless devices still work). I hope that's something that can be fixed quickly.

Originally Posted by Barciur
To be honest, I have never come across anybody who is using contactless here in the States and I still come across cashiers who are not sure how it works or how to turn it on and tell me to "put the card in here" when I try to tap it. I guess it depends on the situation and area though.
I mean, the vast majority of people still insert. But instead of maybe once a month or every other month like before, I see it a few times a week now.

Amusingly enough, the guy in front of me at Albertsons tried to tap his non-contactless enabled card (of course, inserting after the terminal didn't respond). I didn't catch the bank but it was a Visa debit card. I'm guessing the Visa ads on TV are having an effect?