FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Official - GLOBAL UPGRADE CERT success thread - Yay! I got it!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:53 pm
btonkid12345

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Marcella Reidl Whitfield
So we've got on the call with the platinum line today. Trying to go from CHS to CDG. not terribly hard, right? We are using Pay with Miles. I asked the agent to find ANY available in September/October 2019 for 14 days with instant upgrade only on the transatlantic flts with GUC to Delta One. She could find a single day Oct 7th going over but nothing coming back. She encouraged me to go ahead and book because its common for GUCs to clear at the last minute. Is this so? I wanted to get some feedback to see if this is accurate and if gambling with our GUCs on one leg is a chance we should take. This isn't really prime travel time, is it?

The other thing that kills me is that we actually are trying to go from CDG to LJU (Slovenia). If we were to forgo using the GUCs and just use award miles, this trip for the same timeframe is listed as 50,000 miles as an award in Economy right now. If we drop off the leg to Slovenia it jumps up to 77K miles, but we can't use pay with miles on the trip through LJU because that leg is by Adria. I wish there was a points/award/travel consultant that specialized in booking flights for folks with GUCs.
It all comes down to - do you want the MQMs and to sit in J? Or ok with Y?

Which, given current fares, seem better value to you? Only you can answer that.

If you land on GUCs, take the Oct 7 outbound and lock it in.

Pick a return based on your travel needs and then by # of empty J seats in cabin.

There will likely be a schedule change of some sort that might make you eligible for a free change between now and flight, possibly allowing you to modify the return should J fill up.

If you wait list now you have a decent shot of clearing.