FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Double New Year DO
View Single Post
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:52 pm
thewayofthefuture

Programs: UA Gold 0.659MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
The Double New Year DO - Dec 31, 2019 (twice) - Jan 3, 2020

Way back in 2007, I resolved to spend New Year’s Eve in a different place every year, never repeating a location. I’ve come to enjoy the project so much that for the last New Year's Eve of the 2010s, I’ve decided to celebrate it twice.

The plan is to meet in Auckland on or before December 31st, celebrate the arrival of a new decade, sleep (maybe), and then meet back at the airport to board Air NZ flight 46 back in to 2019. Upon arrival in Rarotonga, we'll celebrate 2020 for a second time and then spend a few days enjoying the culture of the Cook Islands, a self-governing island nation in a free association with New Zealand (good enough to count as a country in my book). It also appears to the least populated country with a non stop flight to the US.

I'm co-planning this with PbodyPhoto, and more details to come as we do our research and get an idea of how many others are interested.
Working Itinerary
Tuesday December 31st (or earlier):
Meet in Auckland
Celebrate NYE #1

Wednesday January 1st:
Wake up far too early
8:55am - Depart AKL on Air NZ Flight 46 (Or VA91 for those who want a sleep in) back to 2019

Tuesday December 31st (again):
1:45pm - Arrive in the Cook Islands
- transfer to hotels TBD
Celebrate NYE #2

Wednesday January 1st (again):
Recovery on the beach + explore the island

Thursday January 2nd:
Explore
Day trip to Aitutaki

Friday January 3rd:
11:55pm - A nonstop flight to LAX is available for those wanting to return to America.

Accomodations
Auckland
Four Points Sheraton
monitor +1 (12/30-1/1)
PbodyPhoto (12/31-1/1)
thewayofthefuture +1 (12/30-1/1)

Raratonga
TBD

Attendees
Confirmed
monitor +1
PbodyPhoto