FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Efficient ways to earn Platinum
View Single Post
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:38 pm
ffay005

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by FFlash
For that you must wait so long that you have time to take a boat ride from where you are now to Hawaii
How many ClubOne points does this domestic cruise require?

Originally Posted by Courmisch
200€ price difference sounds like either a campaign W or aggregator A fare. Either way, that would earn 25%. Or worse, some codeshare on Finnair metal earning potentially nothing at all (notably TP, CA).
Is there any chance that OTA could sell Aurinkomatkat flight-only flights in A bucket?

Originally Posted by kanamurva
I'm Also doing a delhi MR doesn't sound very tempting, cos I still don't like flying in Y very much. Also I consider India a shithole country that I try to avoid in every possible way.
We feel the same way about India, however, in April I will actually spend 24 hours in Delhi. Heaven help the masochist in me who booked that ticket! But a true MR to DEL doesn't include a visit to India – you stay airside and eat Makula baguette from Alepa.

Otherwise, I think you've captured the essence of "efficient ways to earn platinum status" perfectly. This is what I do, too: try to find cheap flights to destinations that I want to visit. €1180 to MIA is a great price to a great city. And €1580 to BKK is a very good price, too. ARN and TLL are easy places to start your flights, and in most cases the ticket allows an overnight transit (if not a longer stopover) at HEL, so you don't need to fly all the way in one go.

In my last qualification period, I decided it was time to burn as many points as possible, instead of buying tickets, so I made a deliberate choice to lose status in the process. Now that I'm Gold, I'm flying J MXP-HEL-NRT-HEL-FCO (for less than €2200) and J DEL-HEL-JFK-HEL-DEL (for €2500) to get back to Platinum. The DEL part is definitely a MR, but NRT (and onwards) as well as JFK are mass tourism trips.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Feb 21, 2019 at 9:36 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member