FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying first class is great until something goes wrong...
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:46 am
StayingHomeIsBetter
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by cre95

The key is to understand the rules. If there first class seats open, you’ll be given that seat. If there aren’t any open, your choice - get on the next flight with a first class available seat or take the coach seat in the earlier flight.

The problem is when they get you into the roster on a standby basis. Then, as noted above, you’ll end up in coach due to procedure that Delta use.

From a practical perspective, I get into the FC seat as long as you call prior to the gate taking control. Once the gate takes control of the flight, all you can do is go the standby route.
That is why I call, as soon as there is any credible indication that my scheduled flight will likely not go out, or that I will miss a connection, and ask to be protected on the next available flight.

On a paid FC ticket (cash or coupon-paid), if there is a FC seat available, my experience has been that the telephone agents will confirm it for you.